You are probably reading this because you have decided to toss the padded bras and opt for breast augmentation. Congratulations! You are not alone. Breast augmentation, also known as breast implant surgery, is the top cosmetic surgery performed in America.
This is a major step for most women, and often a positive one. Studies have shown that breast implants can help boost self-esteem, body image and sexual satisfaction.
The next step in your implant journey is to discover your implant options. The type of implant you choose affects your overall look. Whether your goal is a subtle change or a more dramatic difference, there is a breast implant that is right for you.
Why Consider Breast Implants?
Women have many different reasons for considering breast implants.
Micromastia – A majority of patients have breast that never developed, a condition called micromastia.
Asymmetrical Breasts – Another reason is having asymmetrical breasts; this is when breasts don’t match in some way, either in size or shape. It might not seem like much, but it can feel like a deformity.
Damaged Tissue – Some women also consider breast implants after having they are finished having children because of tissue damage caused in the breast.
Don’t Get Hung Up on Bra Sizes
We tend to think in cup sizes because that is how we buy our bras. But cup sizes for patients having breast augmentation is very subjective because not all bras and designed and made the same way. If you visit a lingerie shop, you will understand why we advise you to think about proportion and shape and to forget about cup size.
There are two types of breast implants: silicone breast implants and saline breast implants.
Saline – Saline implants are filled with sterile water. They are inserted empty and then filled once they are in place.
Saline breast implants are available to women 18 and older for breast augmentation and to women of any age for breast reconstruction.
Silicone – Silicone implants are pre-filled with silicone gel – a thick, sticky fluid that closely mimics the feel of human fat. Most women feel that silicone breast implants look and feel more like natural breast tissue.
Silicone breast implants are available to women 22 and older for breast augmentation and to women of any age for breast reconstruction.
Consultations available now
What should I know about breast implant shapes, profiles and sizes?
- The most common of the implant shapes when it comes to augmentation is the round implant, which looks like a compressed sphere.
- They come in different types variations from low projection to high projection.
- Patients who choose the round implants do so for the lift, cleavage, and fullness they give to the breast.
- Some patients feel round implants look too artificial.
- The teardrop name comes from the way it is shaped, with a sloped contour that fills out more on the bottom than the top.
- Mimics the shape of natural breasts.
- Women who are seeking a breast enhancement that appears more natural, teardrop implants might be the right choice.
- The profile of a breast implant refers to the level of forward projection from the chest wall in relation to the base width of the implant.
- The profile indicates the distance the implant will project from your body.
- A higher profile breast implant will create a more prominent silhouette than a lower profile breast implant.
- Breast implant size is measured in cubic centimeters (often referred to as cc’s).
- The larger the implant, the higher the volume of cc’s will be.
- A 300cc implant is larger than a 250cc implant.
- Breast implant sizes do not correspond to traditional bra cup sizes.
- Choosing the right size implant is the most important decision a woman and her surgeon will make.
*Individual Results May Vary
Things to Consider when Choosing Breast Implant Size
- Wardrobe: You want to be sure you are comfortable in different types of clothing, from your day-to-day and evening wear.
- Lifestyle Considerations: If you lead an active, athletic lifestyle you should consider how your breast implants will affect your ability to participate in your favorite activities. In some instances, you may want to choose a more moderate-sized implant that will not interfere with your active lifestyle.
- Your Size and Dimensions: Your breast augmentation procedure will be customized in order to achieve natural looking results that complement your body’s dimensions. We will consider your frame, natural breast size, and amount of natural breast tissue in order to recommend the right style and size implant to help you look and feel your very best.
- Photos: Look at the before and after photos of the surgeon’s work. It is important to be confident that you share the same aesthetic sensibilities as your cosmetic surgeon.
Deciding to enhance your figure with breast implant surgery is a highly personal choice. At Rodeo Surgical Art in Beverly Hills, cosmetic surgeon Dr. David Mashhadian is dedicated to using his artistic eye and surgical talent to help you achieve your personal beauty goals.