Benefits of a Breast Reduction
Bigger isn’t always better when it comes to having amazing breasts. Shape and proportion are what it is all about. For many women, having breasts that are oversized and too large for their body stature and weight can cause serious health problems, including physical stress and discomfort and emotional stress and insecurity as well.
Board-certified cosmetic surgeon Dr. David Mashhadian of Rodeo Surgical Art in Beverly Hills can improve both the shape and proportion of your breasts, using breast reduction techniques tailored to your unique needs. If you feel the time has come to take control of and enhance your breasts, learn all about breast reduction surgery and how it can be right for you.
What is Breast Reduction Surgery?
A breast reduction surgery is a procedure that reduces the size and weight of heavy and large breasts. The objective is to help create a more aesthetically pleasing breast contour that is more proportional to a patient’s body.
The procedure is performed by a board-certified and highly skilled cosmetic surgeon and includes removing excess breast tissue, fat, and sagging stretched skin. The objective of the surgery is to make the breasts smaller, lighter, and firmer, and improve breast symmetry and eliminate sagging as well.
Health Complications Caused by Large Breasts
- Back pain – With large breasts, there is much more weight on your chest when doing everyday things like lifting or bending over. This adds a lot of strain on your back, which can lead to back pain, which in some cases prevents some women from exercising or being active.
- Skin problems – This most often occurs in the folds underneath the breasts, which are difficult to keep dry. The skin is irritated by the moist environment and becomes a breeding ground for infections to develop in the area.
- Problems with Posture This usually results in bad posture and may cause your back to curve and develop a hump, leading to more serious back issues as you age.
- Psychological Effects – Aside from physical disadvantages, large breasts can negatively affect your mental health. Many women want to hide their large breasts, leading them to become self- conscious, developing low self-esteem, and a bad body image. These negative thoughts cause further issues such as depression and stress.
- Other aches and pains – Large breasts may cause you other bodily aches and pains, which can negatively impact your life. Neck and shoulder pain can be just as painful and crippling as back pain and often lead to the development of lower back pain.
Breast Reduction Procedure
There are two main steps to Traditional Breast Reduction Surgery. The first is the administration of anesthesia, and the second is the incision followed by the actual breast reduction.
- Anesthesia – Traditional Breast Reduction Surgery is done while the patient is sleeping and cannot be performed under local anesthesia.
- Incision – There are various surgical techniques and incision patterns that can be made on the breast for a breast reduction. The dimension, breast size, level of reduction and amount of tissue being removed determines the type of surgical procedure and incisions that are best. The two main incision patterns include:
- Anchor Shape – This is the best option for reduction of very large breasts. The standard technique is the anchor pattern; an incision is made around the areola, down the midline and across the bottom of the breast.
- Lollipop – An incision is made only around the areola and straight down the midline of the breast, without the third horizontal incision.
Before completing the procedure, the incisions are brought together to reshape the new smaller breasts. The results of your breast reduction will be immediately visible, and you will be provided with a topical scar remedy to help with the appearance of the incisions and the smoothing of the scars.
The Scarless Breast Reduction
The Scarless Breast Reduction is an excellent alternative to the traditional breast reduction procedure. This is a wonderful and less invasive option for patients that elect to have a limited amount of reduction.
Utilizing a liposuction technique and the possibility of additional treatments such as VASER, Dr. Mashhadian can perform breast reduction for patients without any large incisions and scars. This reduces various risks of complications and is a great option for a speedy recovery as well.
Your Initial Consultation
The initial consultation will include discussing your cosmetic goals with Dr. Mashhadian, and he will evaluate your candidacy for breast reduction and clarify what the surgery can do for you.
Dr. Mashhadian will examine, measure, and photograph your breasts for your medical record. The following will be taken into consideration:
- The size and shape of your breasts
- The quality of your breast tissue
- The shape and size that you want for your breasts
- The elasticity of your skin
- The placement of your nipples and areolas
Schedule Your Consultation
If you want to know which breast reduction procedure is right for you, call us to schedule your appointment at 310-652-4500!